What are bunions/bunionettes?
- Bunions are a deformity of the big toe in which it excessively angles towards the second toe and leads to a bony lump on the side of the foot. Bunionette’s however are a deformity of the fifth toe.
Why do I have bunions?
- Bunions are caused when the bone or tissue at the bottom of the big toe is moved out of place, due to excessive/abnormal weight pressure.
Symptoms of bunions
- Bulging bump on the side of the big toe
- Swelling or redness around toe
- Restricted movement of toe
- Physical discomfort or pain
- Possible numbness
- Difficulty walking
How can Orthotics help bunions?
- Our longitudinal arch supports reach under the metatarsals, to distribute body-weight evenly and relieve pressure.
- Orthotics help correct the way you stand or walk, therefore slowing the advancement of bunion growth.
What is Hammer Toe?
- Hammer toes are the deformity of one or both joints of the second, third, fourth or pinky toes.
- This abnormal bending can place pressure on the toe causing problems to develop.
- The most common cause of hammer toes is a muscle/tendon imbalance.
- Pressure from a bunion can cause this deformity.
How can Orthotics help Hammer Toe?
- Our metatarsal arch balances muscles and tendons suspending further deterioration.
- Orthotics help by shifting toes position which relives pain.